I can't put into words the emotion I feel for this character. In fact, there have been a number of times during my performance where I've let my emotions outweigh my musicality. Truthfully, that's never happened onstage before. I'm always very aware of the way that my voice sounds - I don't let myself get away with sounding imperfect. With this role, though, the important thing is to portray the feelings of this woman. It's amazing to not have to sound "pretty" all the time. Do I still want it to be perfect? Absolutely. Sometimes it's really difficult to get out of your own way.I am blown away by the talent in this production. The technical spectacles will be enough to make people "ooh" and "ahh" when they walk into the space, but the talent will floor people when the piece begins; I have total confidence in that. I have more faith in this than just about any show I've ever been in. It makes me so proud.
I think about three months ago when I was dying to be in this show and I was dying to play this role. Now we're six days away from opening it, and I feel like the luckiest little performer in the world. I know it's not the biggest thing to happen to a person, but this opportunity and the feelings that accompany it may top the list of anything I've ever done thus far. I feel so ridiculously lucky.
All of that being said, I think it would be in your best interest click on this link and get tickets to come see the show. If you don't want to purchase them online, you can call the box office at (801) 984-9000. I, along with my crazy-talented friends and fellow actors, am performing in the Monday/Wednesday/Friday shows at 7:30 PM and on Saturdays at the 12:30 PM matinee. It plays February 16th through April 9th.
With tech week in full force, I have had the most jumbled of thoughts. Things have been absolutely nuts as far as scheduling goes, and I haven't really been as ahead of the game as I would like. My sleep has suffered severely... thanks to my bad habit of procrastination.
The good news is, I'm still able to make progress with my weight loss. It's not moving as much - which is expected when you're approaching closer and closer to your goal - but what matters is that it is moving along. I have grown very fond of Monday mornings. I know that's not typically what is said; Mondays are usually the most dreaded day of the week. For me, though, Monday means weighing in. I have been fortunate enough to see results (even if it's only losing 0.2 pounds) every week but one since I started this journey. It's become a little extra thing to be able to wake up Monday mornings and give myself a little pep-talk. This past Monday morning, I got off the scale with a tiny squeal and said, "You're so close!" I'm crossing my fingers to hit my goal by mid-March.

A little over three years ago, I did my first performance in Utah. It was at the Egyptian Theatre in Park City, and it was the musical version of Peter Pan. I was cast as Mrs. Darling and one of Tiger Lily's Indians. Of course like every show, I had no idea what to expect from it. I just had heard that the theatre was a good start in the professional realm of Utah theatre, so I was going to take full advantage of it.
I had a lot of fun during this show. I learned a lot of patience working with so many little ones. I learned and worked on my weaknesses as an actress (my character - aside from the very beginning of the lullaby and aside from group numbers as an Indian - hardly sang a single note). I laughed so much, and I even cried a little, too (I know - surprise, surprise). Remember when I talked about the life lessons I'm able to learn with each show I am a part of? This show was, of course, no exception.
But the best thing I walked away with was a friendship: I knew the minute I met Molly Jackson that there was something sparkly about her. I was amazed at her solid personality, her confidence, and her honest-to-goodness yearning to get to know those around her. So I clung to her as much as I could. I realized, as I did get to know her, that she was truly one of the most loving people I'd ever met. I've talked about her blog before, but I don't think I've ever shared her story. Below is a short documentary that BYUtv did about her sweet little family (you're going to want to turn up your volume and pause the music player at the bottom of the page):
I had gotten to know little Lucy during the run of Peter Pan when Molly would bring her by rehearsals. People were drawn to her just like they were to her mom. I remember hearing the sweetest little giggles and squeals of excitement all from Lucy during the dress rehearsals, run-throughs and performances. The days that surrounded the accident and tragedy seem somewhat of a blur. Except for her funeral... where I experienced the most spiritual and quiet moment of my entire life. That is why I did Peter Pan - so I could meet Molly and Lucy.
Molly has remained a part of my life. We don't see each other nearly as often as we should - probably once or twice a year, but I still feel very strongly connected to her. I could talk to her for hours on end about anything and everything; she is a mentor in many respects, a supporter, and she doesn't blow smoke. Also, she's the hippest mom ever.
I bring all of this up for two reasons. One, it's her birthday today. And I'm obsessed with birthdays, remember? I could go on and on about her. I wish everyone could meet her and get to know her. The second reason I bring it up is because of an event next month that she has put together called "Days of Plenty."
Molly has formed a foundation (the one that's talked about in the video) to help families pay for the headstones of children who have passed. It is a beautiful foundation and one that should remain in full force for a long, long time. Molly has been kind enough to allow me to perform at this concert, and I am so honored to do so. I would love to see my friends there. This benefit concert's proceeds will go towards Headstones for Hope/A Good Grief. And it's only $10. Mark your calendars, would you? March 17th at 7:30 PM at the Historic Murray Theatre. I'm not afraid to say that hearing the songs and stories will change lives. I truly believe that.
I had a lot of fun during this show. I learned a lot of patience working with so many little ones. I learned and worked on my weaknesses as an actress (my character - aside from the very beginning of the lullaby and aside from group numbers as an Indian - hardly sang a single note). I laughed so much, and I even cried a little, too (I know - surprise, surprise). Remember when I talked about the life lessons I'm able to learn with each show I am a part of? This show was, of course, no exception.But the best thing I walked away with was a friendship: I knew the minute I met Molly Jackson that there was something sparkly about her. I was amazed at her solid personality, her confidence, and her honest-to-goodness yearning to get to know those around her. So I clung to her as much as I could. I realized, as I did get to know her, that she was truly one of the most loving people I'd ever met. I've talked about her blog before, but I don't think I've ever shared her story. Below is a short documentary that BYUtv did about her sweet little family (you're going to want to turn up your volume and pause the music player at the bottom of the page):
I had gotten to know little Lucy during the run of Peter Pan when Molly would bring her by rehearsals. People were drawn to her just like they were to her mom. I remember hearing the sweetest little giggles and squeals of excitement all from Lucy during the dress rehearsals, run-throughs and performances. The days that surrounded the accident and tragedy seem somewhat of a blur. Except for her funeral... where I experienced the most spiritual and quiet moment of my entire life. That is why I did Peter Pan - so I could meet Molly and Lucy.
Molly has remained a part of my life. We don't see each other nearly as often as we should - probably once or twice a year, but I still feel very strongly connected to her. I could talk to her for hours on end about anything and everything; she is a mentor in many respects, a supporter, and she doesn't blow smoke. Also, she's the hippest mom ever.
I bring all of this up for two reasons. One, it's her birthday today. And I'm obsessed with birthdays, remember? I could go on and on about her. I wish everyone could meet her and get to know her. The second reason I bring it up is because of an event next month that she has put together called "Days of Plenty."
Molly has formed a foundation (the one that's talked about in the video) to help families pay for the headstones of children who have passed. It is a beautiful foundation and one that should remain in full force for a long, long time. Molly has been kind enough to allow me to perform at this concert, and I am so honored to do so. I would love to see my friends there. This benefit concert's proceeds will go towards Headstones for Hope/A Good Grief. And it's only $10. Mark your calendars, would you? March 17th at 7:30 PM at the Historic Murray Theatre. I'm not afraid to say that hearing the songs and stories will change lives. I truly believe that.
1 comment:
I'm pretty sure your blogs better than any sex and the city lady's thoughts! :)
ha.
I love you, I love you!
miss you.
Post a Comment