I've never really liked going through the motions (who does?), and I'm lucky enough to have a little wrench thrown into everyday - while work and class are pretty consistent, rehearsals (and eventually, performances) offer some sweet elements of surprise every time. This rehearsal process of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels has been interesting for me. I've had a total of five rehearsals so far. My character doesn't enter until about 60 pages into the script, so I haven't been called to rehearse until really recently. I suppose the lack of rehearsing and the lack of that element of surprise is why I feel like everyday is on "repeat" for me. Thank goodness I'm back in full-swing with it; I didn't like feeling disconnected from the process.This past Saturday was a long (but fun) day, and I was absolutely exhausted. When I got home, I had every intention of crawling right into bed and falling right to sleep. Until I saw a package with my name on it sitting on the table in the living room. I opened it up to find this:
Along with it was a typed note that read:"This book reminded me of you because you should be in it."
It wasn't signed and there was no return address. I was floored, and of course, I got teary-eyed. What sweet person would do something like this for me? Who on Earth would go out of his or her way to make me feel special? And why?
Instead of falling asleep like I'd planned, I started reading it.
This book is blowing my mind. Seriously. There's a website for it (and it's "even more awesome" companion book, which I will be purchasing shortly), and I think it's safe to say that it would benefit anyone to go and visit it: http://www.1000awesomethings.com. The book is quirky; it's smart; it's glorious. And I agree with just about every single "awesome thing."
(I'm not above telling anyone who is looking for a pick-me-up to go out and get this book. You can get it just about anywhere right about now and it runs about $15 on paperback; I've been doing my research.)
The Book of Awesome isn't just a list of 1,000 awesome things; it's explanations, too. Just so that the reader will get it. Some of the "awesome things" are:
- Finding money you didn't even know was lost
- When you pull to a read light and the guy in front of you nudges up a bit so you can make a right turn
- Wearing underwear right out of the dryer
- Picking the perfect nacho off of someone's plate
- Sneezing three or more times in a row
- Hearing a stranger fart in public
- Somebody flashing their high-beams at you to warn you about the cops
- The first scoop out of a jar of peanut butter
- Taking your bra off after wearing it for hours
- Having a whole row by yourself on a plane
I've talked before about how I believe sometimes things happen at the exact moment when we need them the most. I needed this book to help me stop going through the motions and to "stop and smell the roses." I don't know what tender person sent me this book, but whoever you are, I thank you from the very bottom of my heart.
Angela's #1 Awesome Thing: A very special book from an anonymous friend.
2 comments:
that book sounds well...awesome!
http://indieogdenutah.blogspot.com/
Cheese sandwich with on thin layer of butter and a generous layer of potato chips = sandwich of the gods.
Or at least the sandwhich of my childhood.
Post a Comment