Thursday, March 24, 2011

The One with the Dream Roles.

Anyone who even considers a career in performance has at least one dream role. These are the roles that we would die to play, given the opportunity. These are the roles that we feel we could - with extremely hard work, of course - do great justice to. A lot of us have more than just one.

Uhh... I have six.

Christine in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Cathy in The Last Five Years
Jo in Little Women
Dot in Sunday In the Park With George
Lucille in ParadeLizzie in 110 In the Shade
Recently, I was able to add Madame Defarge to my dream role list and then fulfill it almost immediately. And then yesterday, I got a phone call offering me a role in an upcoming production...

I get to play my absolute number one dream role in my absolute number one favorite musical: Christine Colgate in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

This is a role that has been on my mind since I saw the production for the first tim
e in 2006. I saw the show five times and was floored at the powerhouse opportunity the actresses had that were playing Christine. What a versatile role; what a singing role; what a cute and fun role; what a charming role. I didn't know how or when I would play it, but I knew I had to. And five years later, I'm being given the chance to do so. And the cast? Really? Holy cats, it's going to be so fun. And let's not forget the fact that I get to play opposite the most talented fella' I know.
Oh, what?... he's also my best friend? Yeah, I know.

I really, really, really can't describe the excitement. I can't describe the giddiness. And most of all, I can't even begin to describe the utter and complete gratitude I feel for being blessed with this. Yet again, I get to do something I've never done before and play a role before that I only dreamed of playing before.

Corny as it sounds, it really does bring me to tears when I ask the question: how and why do I keep getting blessed like this?

3 comments:

Mal Mecham said...

Sara told me last night!! I'm so stinking excited for you and for the show!! I told you that they'd be insane not to cast you, you're brilliant!!!

Meggera said...

I WONT'T miss it! Where is it at? Love watching you two play opposite eachother! OH, and just to let you know, you deserve all the wonderful things that happen!

Katie said...

I love how you two seem to be a package deal these days :) I can't wait to see it! I'll make sure I come to your cast this time!