Friday, January 11, 2013

The One with 7, 8, 9, and 10.

Hi. My name's Angela, and I'm a slacker.

Okay, not really. I just have neglected this little treasure for far too long. I started my "Tributes to Thanksgiving" in November, let things get a little more hectic than normal and let the last two months slip away from me in the blogging department.

Since I am a lady of my word, I fully intend on catching up on my Tributes, even if it's little by little... but life has a way of being hectic, so I may not ever get around to it. That doesn't mean I'm not grateful, of course.

I have the day off and the road conditions prohibited me from following through with any plans and have forced me to put on pajamas, remove any make-up, and throw my hair into a ponytail. So, instead of braving those white roads, I am going to relish in the things I am thankful for (which I should be doing everyday).

I'll continue where I left off: number seven.

Tribute to Thanksgiving #7: "Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen." - Michael Jordan

A few years ago, I was having a conversation with my little sister. She said something that has long since stuck with me. She said, "Angie, you've known what you've wanted to do your whole life. I wish I had that." It struck several chords in me: one, a bit of sadness for my sister, wishing that I could just help her find her niche and two, she's right.

I have never, in all my years, wondered what I was going to do with my future. I have known from a very young age and I haven't changed my mind, my passion, my direction since then. I feel very fortunate to have that.

So what exactly am I thankful for? A drive. A passionate, sentimental, powerful, sometimes frustrating and scary ambition.

Which leads me to my next Tribute...

Tribute to Thanksgiving #8: "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

I'm packing everything up, driving to Texas mid-May, and leaving my car there with my family. I'll spend several days with them and then proceed to pack up approximately four suitcases.

I fly out of Dallas on June 3, 2013 at 6:30 AM. I arrive in New York's LaGuardia Airport at 1:10 PM.

Baby steps. Big, huge, terrifying baby steps.

Tribute to Thanksgiving #9: "A baby is born with a need to be loved - and never outgrows it." - Frank A Clark

When I went home for Christmas, I knew I would be unproductive in the sense that all I would want to do is snuggle little Evie all the time. And that was fine by me. It's amazing how therapeutic being around a child can be. The way a child holds onto you, looks at you, loves you, falls asleep in your arms - it is honestly one of the most incredible feelings in the world. I found that being around that tiny little bundle was lightening my load, making me forget any troubles, and downright fun. I am obsessed with her.

Is it overkill if I express, yet again, my crazy love for my sweet little niece?
With a face this cute, who can help it?

Tribute to Thanksgiving #10: "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future." - Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol

I have always loved Christmas. It is a time spent with family. It is a time of warmth and joy and charity. It is a time of music and food and gifts, of shopping, of catching up on sleep, of movies, and on and on.

What makes a time like that even more special is being submersed in a performance that shares with its audiences the meaning of Christmas. For the past two years, I have been honored to be a part of A Christmas Carol at the Hale Centre Theatre. Last year's performance was wonderful and special, but this year's was especially touching for many, many reasons. Some unexpected situations occurred during rehearsals that solidified a bond between many members of the cast and production staff. It felt like an honest, new, fresh show. It felt so very, very special and just... important. 

I have never felt Christmas as deeply as I did in 2012, all thanks to A Christmas Carol and the precious people involved.

1 comment:

Keidrick said...

I don't know why, but this just nearly brought me to tears. I'm so proud of you, so happy for you! I believe in you and your passion and have no doubts that you will be just fine! I Youtubed your name the other day and loved what I saw, you've grown so much! Congratulations. Good luck and beak legs!! :)